You can’t help but respect them. 你不由得不尊敬他们。
When they gave him a ticket to the game, he couldn’t help but go.
把 can’t help but 当一个什么词会好些?
曹老师:
can't help doing sth. 忍不住,禁不住做某事。
can't help but do sth. 不得不做某事,只好做某事。
这两个句型当作整体记忆和运用。
help在这里不是帮助的意思,而是抑制的意思。
陈老师:
You can’t help but respect them. 你不由得不尊敬他们。
When they gave him a ticket to the game, he couldn’t help but go.
把 can’t help but 当一个什么词会好些?
(1)can't help but do sth(美国英文)=不得不; 不能不; 必须; 只好
When our country calls us for help, we can't help but go.
当祖国需要我们时, 我们必须尽力.
When a close friend dies, we can't help but feel sad.
当一位亲密的朋友去世时, 我们不能不难过.
A writer can't help but reveal himself.
一个作家在作品中,总不免要显露出一些自身的影子.
I can't help but feel sorry for him.
我只能为他感到难过.
(2)can’t help doing… 情不自禁地……;忍不住……(其中的help意为“避免;控制”,后接动名词)。
He couldn’t help crying when he heard the news.
他听到这个消息时禁不住哭了。
(3)cannot help (to) do… 不能帮助做……(其中的help意为“帮助”,后接带to或不带to 的动词不定式)。
The medicine can’t help you (to) get rid of your cold.
这药不能帮你消除感冒。
(4)as best one can (may) 尽最大努力;竭力
He calmed down as best he could.
他竭力使自己镇定下来。
(5)can not (never) be …too +adj.无论怎样都不为过;越……就越好
You can not / never be too careful while crossing the street.
穿过街道的时候越小心越好(怎么小心都不为过)。
We can’t b too careful in driving a car.
我们无论如何谨慎驾驶也不过分。
(6)cannot…enough (sufficiently) 无论怎样都不为过
You can not take enough care.
越小心越好(怎么小心都不为过)。
(7)as…as one can (= as …as possible) 尽可能地…
Please arrive here as early as possible tomorrow.
明天请尽早赶到这里。
I will come as soon as I can.
我尽可能早来。
I ran as fast as I could.
我尽快地跑。